ss_blog_claim=a557af335bd6b0ddb1fa8a0af3ef67a2


Google
 

1.29.2006

And then life hits you...

Peggy and Maisy (Rachel's new pug)
This weekend started out pretty good. Peggy and I went to see Fun with Dick and Jane and per usual, the funniest part of the movie was Peggy's reaction to it. At one point she actuall squealed laughing. I'm not kidding, the guy in front of us asked if she hurt herself! And yesterday began lovely, the sun was out...we had a great visit with my grandmother who is recooping wonderfully from her surgery. Then Peggy started complaining of stomach pains, which ordinarily would be diagnosed by Dr. Mary and treated with Tums. However, she's been complaining of these pains for weeks now, they come and go. We thought it was an adverse reaction to ibuprofen, as it makes my dad sick as well so we had stopped all use of that. My mother finally waived her right as a mom to diagnose and brought Peggy to the emergency room. A mere six hours later she was diagnosed (officially, and not by Doc Baker) with gallstones. She had to wait out the night to be consulted by a surgeon. Actually, all of her initial tests were emailed to on-call doctors in Austrailia. Sounds a bit much, but it makes sense. This way doctor's here can get ample rest and aren't woken up for things that aren't actually neccessary to wake up for. At any rate, my mother called around 9 this morning and informed us that Peggy would have to have surgery this week to remove her gallbladder completely.

I realize this is routine surgery, but I won't say that I didn't freak out a bit. I feel the worst for my family as I had to make the round of phone calls soon after I learned the news myself. This kid has been so much in her life. She's 21 and I can't even begin to explain the surgeries and procedures and medications. Enough is just enough! The amazing thing is, this is "routine" for her. She just sits back and allows nurses and doctors to do thier thing. She knows when to call because her IV is empty, or if she needs a few more ice chips. I've known her all her life, and she's never backed down when challenged, especially with something like this. When she was six she had surgery on her back. She was in Children's Hospital in Boston, sadly not an uncommon place to find her for much of her childhood. One of the residents came in and told her he would be removing her bandage and "that it wouldn't hurt." She made him promise "it wouldn't hurt." He did. He lied. With tears in her eyes she just yelled "OUT." He proceded to try and finish, she yelled louder and was finally rescued by one of the nurses. At that time she informed the nurse "that" doctor was not allowed back in her room. All the nurses, loving Peggy, made sure he didn't even walk by her door. A couple of days later, her surgeon was doing rounds. Peggy was feeling better and even able to lie on her back. The surgeon asked if it was ok if a few others joined in her room to see how she was doing. She invited them in without hesitation. The surgeon began to ramble about Peggy's case when she saw the aforementioned resident cowering in the back. She pointed at him and said "I told you STAY OUT!" The surgeon kicked the guy out and talked with the rest of the group about the importance of "bedside manner." She was six and kicking butt!

Bottom line is, Peggy is going to be fine...it just sends you into a tailspin. Her surgery is Monday, and she will be in the hospital about a week, but probably less. She's an awesome kid and she brings me and my family such joy. So if you have a couple to spare, just say a prayer or four for her. I know it's routine surgery, but they can't hurt. I'll keep you all posted on how things go. Thank you so much for all of you who called and emailed today. When I left tonight she was sitting in her bed watching the Disney Channel and playing with the Barrell of Monkeys we gave her today...and getting "p.o'ed" when they'd fall. She's amazing:)

7 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger JoviFan said...

Great Idea! Reesie, get that hospital address up there. I'm sure Slen, Eoj, Trebla and Disco Blazer will all be anxiously awaiting information where to send their well wishes!!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Mo said...

Oh my God, she will seriously LOVE that!! Thank you!!

She's in room 210...not that there are many "Shmakie" or "Pegga Pot Pie" Tarpey's in York Hospital...but that would be just great!

Thank you!!!!

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go on the york hospital website you can fill out an online card that they print out in color and deliver to the patient. Being I am so far away, we all sent a couple. Event the cats. I will join in on the snail mail cards too. Thanks guys for being so kind and worrying about Peggy. I know she will be fine because we are all praying for her. The bible says when two or more pray in agreement then it shall be.....so there you go, we all agree that she is in no pain, that the surgery heals her, that she comes out from the surgery safely and that she heals well with out discomfort or side effects. Thanks to all of you for your support. She is my angel! She has taught me so much in my life time and is the greatest gift that God has given me. She taught me about innocence, a pure kind heart. About unconditional love. About strength and survivial. About life and how short it is. She is my little hero.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Sparky said...

Mo,
You're all in our prayers. Would Peggy mind a card from a stranger? (They don't get any stranger than me!) I love sending cards, and will write one out tonight if you don't think she will find it too weird.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison,
Peggy loves everyone in the whole world. She would definetly not mind getting a card from a stranger, infact she'd love it. (and if you know Mo, then you're not a real stranger.)
Mo and Peggys sister, Elizabeth

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger JoviFan said...

I didn't know Pegs had a pug!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Sparky said...

Thanks Elizabeth, I sent a card today. Two actually. I have a thing for going overboard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home