ss_blog_claim=a557af335bd6b0ddb1fa8a0af3ef67a2


Google
 

9.29.2005

Son of a Witch!!

I'm very excited to discover that Gregory Maguire has written a sequel to Wicked called Son of a Witch!! I've already ordered a copy, and if you want one just let me know. The book releases on October 1. If you haven't read Wicked-you have no idea what you are missing. I've been a huge fan of the Wizard of Oz all of my life. My memories are watching the movie once a year when it was on TV as a treat. Until last year I refused to watch it on DVD because I felt the tradition should be upheld, but I missed the broadcast and needed a fix. So I finally caved and bought the DVD-which is great because it has fun extras. At any rate, last summer I found this book...actually I had seen it years ago and had been wanting to read it. I finally bought it last summer for my trip to Florida and no lie, I was completely entranced. It is the story of the Wicked Witch of the West, literally from her birth to her fateful meeting with Dorothy Gale. The book is so entrancing that watching the movie is never the same. After reading this viewpoint, I totally questioned who I sided with...Dorothy or the Witch. The characters are amazing...and their tie in to each other are very interesting. At any rate, this new book apparently takes up where the other one left off. I can't wait to read it-I even bought it in hardcover because I'm so excited about it!! I read Maguire's version of Snow White called Mirror, Mirror over Christmas...it's totally crazy...but there is just something about his writing. He adds more depth to it by using real life historic personas as main characters! My latest purchase is Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister (obviously a take on Cinderella). The thing is that each of his stories may be based on something that was not his own work, but the ideas and the fantasy are so original that it totally works. I can't wait for this book to show up!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home