ss_blog_claim=a557af335bd6b0ddb1fa8a0af3ef67a2


Google
 

2.27.2006

No Day But Today...

I finally got to see the film version of the musical RENT this weekend. I was skeptical, especially knowing the director has made major films such as Adventures in Babysitting. Plus, the first time (and only time) I saw the show was in New York City with Joey FATone of *NSync playing the lead...so if you know me at all the film would of course have a lot to live up to. It [the film] was, in a word, breathtaking. In fact, the only reason I know I breathed at all was because I'm still alive to type this right now. No show that is meant for the stage is as personal once it's put to film, but this was the exception. I think I got a lot more out of the movie version than I did when I saw it live. It had to help that I wasn't sitting in the fourth row when the FATone took the stage...but I also admit (ugh) that I've matured. But just a little!! I swear, I went through a half a box of Puffs Plus. I could barely move except to sop up the tears from my cheeks. The written characters are amazing, and the people who played them truly did them justice. Speaking of Adventures in Babysitting, the guy who played Mark in RENT (and originated the role on Broadway) was in that movie as the goofy best friend...who knew? I think the story in and of itself is something to not just watch, but to make you think. These epidemics have been happening for too many years, and sadly the message is timeless. Money, as for everyone on earth, rules their lives...but they don't let it ruin them. They're all bound by love and tragedy, true tragedy...not just petty drama that seems to infiltrate everything nowadays. This show is sweet, and funny, and romantic, and brutally sad. I loved every second of it:) I don't believe Netflix will be getting it back anytime soon.

Oh, and to prove I've only matured a very LITTLE...here's a shout out to the FATone...


Haha...it had to be done...I was getting way too serious. I do recommend you see the film, especially if you haven't had the chance to see the stage show. There's "no day but today..."

3 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Sparky said...

Thanks for the critique, Mo. I'd been wanting to see that so badly, then I'd heard some not so great reviews. I'm glad that you loved it. Drew, will hate it. :-)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger JoviFan said...

I'll have to check it out. I was skeptical, too.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

I saw it in the theatre. I don't know if anyone there liked that I sang along (loudly) with all of it. They skipped some of the lesser known songs to cram in more dialogue (which is why it's a movie and not a stange production) and for me since I have the soundtrack and listen to it when I am cleaning that was a little dissapointing. But over all thumbs up! Most of the cast were the original stage cast, too - so it was nice that they didn't get the big names in there and let the original peeps represent! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home