ss_blog_claim=a557af335bd6b0ddb1fa8a0af3ef67a2


Google
 

5.24.2006

Like the corners of my mind...


Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~From the television show The Wonder Years
Lauren issued a challenge/idea that I really thought most of you would enjoy. She said that it would be fun to do kind of a photo scavenger hunt around York Beach. I would post the photos, and then those who care to can comment on memories (or more likely swindlings) that occurred when once upon a time the place in the photo was traversed. Ha. I love this stuff:) So you'll all be happy to know that for the first "round" of pictures Mary (my mom) got all excited and drove me all over the "ville" and such so I could get good shots. She even came up with stuff I had completely forgotten...so I guess I can no longer complain about my constitutional rights when she's "listening at the bottom of the stairs."
The only thing that is a tad upsetting is the "progress" of York since we were children and innocently terrorized the place. For the most part, you will recognize things once you see them...but so many things have changed. I really wanted a good picture of "The Jaguar" ride at York's Wild Dump, but that has been "retired" for years. I think it had something to do with insurance issues and public safety or something...hmmm...well, we survived and are probably all the better for having experienced the joy that was "The Jaguar!"
Tonight, I start with probably the epitome of our York Beach memories, the former Kingdom of the Dot Hog's of Slen, conveniently attached to the York Beach Cinema...the first place I saw classic films like E.T., Back to the Future, and one of my all time favorites...Ghostbusters! So for those of you who would like...comment on:) This will probably be a "weekly" event, although this may have to get you through next week as I'll be gone on business...to Disney!!

The window on the right was where the infamous "Slen's Dot Hog" cafe was...and the more infamous "menu board." As Mary put it tonight...we were "little bastards." Lovely:)

2 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, Blogger JoviFan said...

Jesus...why do my comments always get erased, forcing me to start over. I enter the stupid code and everything!
OK, I was just complaining that Lauren stole all the seemingly viable memories from this dump. The first thing that came to mind was Fwiz's popcorn full of nasty-ass dirt/mold/dust. How the hell did that happen?
Then Lauren moved in on the nearby disco-blazer incident and couldn't even leave the rotting corpse aroma for me to recall.
But I do have one that she miraculously left untouched...
"PINEAPPLES ON TICKS"

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Mo said...

I remember the time we went to see Back to the Future and Lauren fell asleep (probably because we were up all night goofing off with the Shaw's...but that's another photo!!)...and declared she hated the movie. It really drove me nuts because I thought it was one of the better films I'd seen in my 10 years of life!! Ha!! And the time I went with Bobby to see Arachnophobia and wouldn't sleep with the lights off for a month!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home