ss_blog_claim=a557af335bd6b0ddb1fa8a0af3ef67a2


Google
 

12.01.2005

"You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?"


So this is now the third time I will have tried to post this entry...I spent a very long time on it this morning...you have no idea what I've been through for you people!!

At any rate, I have decided to celebrate December with a little turn at the "a-day" rage. Everyday from now until Christmas I'll list a different Christmas Movie/Special that, as Denis Leary might say "warms the cockles of my heart." We all know how much I dig on the pop culture, and this time of year is probably one of my favorites. A lot of these may bring back memories of your childhood even...while, of course, focusing on mine:) My blog...my joy.

So to start things off I'd like to highlight the movie "Home Alone." Truthfully there was a dark period of time where I HATED this movie. My sister Peggy (who was subjected to watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer with me last evening) would get on a kick with one particular movie and watch it incessantly. So we all saw the paint can hit Pesci in the head about a thousandteen times. A few years ago I watched it again, and could not stop laughing. There are so many inconspicuous moments of hilarity in Home Alone, not just the big gags. When you are younger you might not appreciate the comedy of Fuller's evil smile while drinking the Pepsi before bed...the inquisition of the drug store cashier on whether or not the toothbrush was recommended by the American Dental Association...the slovenly sad Santa who didn't have any candy canes and gave Kevin tic-tacs instead...The picture of Buzz's girlfriend and Kevin's reaction to it...and possibly my favorite part of the entire movie was John Candy's character ('Gus Polinski...polka polka!') attempting to make Kevin's mom feel a little better by telling her the story of the kid who was left in the funeral parlor all night...alone with "the body." I am crying right now...I will probably have to watch this tonight.

My favorite character in the movie is 'Uncle Frank.' Having an 'Uncle Frank' of my own, any line that involved him was constantly uttered in our house. From "Uncle Frank, is this a joke?" to this exchange between Kevin and his mother:

Kevin McCallister: Mom, Uncle Frank won't let me watch the movie but the big kids can. Why can't I?
Mom: Kevin, I'm on the phone.
Kevin McCallister: It's not even rated R. He's just being a jerk.
Mom: Kevin, if Uncle Frank says no then it must be really bad.

When my brother Bobby was 7 or 8, and we would visit "the Real Uncle Frank," they would go to the video store and rent a stack of horror movies LITERALLY taller than Bobby. So in our reality, if Uncle Frank did ever say no...then it really MUST have been bad!! I've often thought that someone stalked my Uncle Frank and based the character on him...there are too many similarities...but in all honesty...there's no one like him:)

There is so much more to bring up about this movie, but I can't because a) I should be working 2) I might require a Depends if I continue and d) I'd love to hear your favorite moments. Leave them in the comments section if you would like, and don't forget to visit my trivia game where this week's topic is poetically...Home Alone.

"Keep the change, you filthy animals!"

3 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger BenSpark said...

On the "A-Day" bandwagon? So it won't be long till you become one of the legions of Photo-A-Dayers :-) You know you want to. I love the christmas movie a day theme. There are so many great ones and I love your retelling of them too. Great idea. I will have to direct folks to you to share in this.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Mo said...

Thanks, Drew!! I hope you do enjoy it...I'll try and keep up...I have to decide on today's...but stay tuned...it's coming!! I figure this is just practice for when I finally cave for photo-a-day anyway...even though it gave me that nasty error message when I did yours!!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger BenSpark said...

It still gives me the nasty error message. I complained to Buzznet about it and apparently the error message doesn't happen to them. Well I guess it is fixed then. NO!
So now I have to post to Buzznet then Blog it to Myspace and then cut and paste it to Blogger. So basically I maintain the same photos to 3 different blogs. Overdoingin ti much, yeah I think so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home